Dark Chocolate Waffles
Decadent, rich chocolate waffles that are perfect for dessert, a baby/wedding shower, or weekend brunch. Top with just about anything – ice cream, whipped cream, syrup, berries, nutella, or chocolate sauce!
How to make chocolate waffles
This easy cake-like chocolate waffle comes together in just 20 minutes. It has a slight crisp on the outside and a fluffy, rich, chocolatey interior. I prefer to use dark chocolate as listed in the recipe, but for a sweeter chocolate waffle, feel free to use milk or semi sweet! Makes for a quick, tasty dessert. Top with a Nutella ganache, berries, ice cream, syrup, powdered sugar – just about anything!
These waffles are perfect for a fun get together – party, baby shower, etc. – where you can have a bar of delicious toppings and have guests assemble their own! You can even make them in advance and then just heat them up in the oven to freshen up. They are best warm!
These waffles are designed to not be overly sweet on their own, knowing that we all love a good topping to provide the balanced sweetness! Here’s some ideas of how to top yours!
Nutella ganache (1/2 cup Nutella + 1-2 TB milk, heated up and whisked together)
Sprinkles (or anything you’d top ice cream with, really!)
Follow your waffle iron directions for cooking. My waffle iron uses about 1/2 cup batter and yields 6-8 waffles. Yours may vary slightly depending on your waffle iron. Happy baking!
Dark Chocolate Waffles
- 2 cups (240 grams) all purpose flour weighed or spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup (100 grams granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (35 grams) cocoa powder (I prefer dark, dutch processed)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) dark chocolate*, melted
- Turn on waffle maker to begin heating. Preheat oven to 200° F (you will use this to keep the waffles warm while making them one by one).
- Melt chocolate in the microwave and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and melted chocolate just prepared).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together until ingredients are just combined.
- Lightly spray the waffle iron and add about 1/2 cup of batter to the heated up waffle iron. Cook until heated through, then transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven, covered with foil, to keep warm while you continue to cook the rest of the waffles.
- Serve warm and top with toppings of choice. See below for a list of topping ideas. You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat by heating up in the oven, or toaster if you like a little crunch.
- Ice cream
- Nutella ganache (1/2 cup nutella mixed with 1-2 TB milk)
- Whipped cream (for fresh: beat together 1 cup heavy whipping cream + 1/4 cup powdered sugar + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- Chocolate sauce
- Butter + syrup