Filled with spinach, feta cheese, bacon, and more – these spinach puffs make for an easy and impressive crowd pleasing appetizer!
These spinach puffs are incredibly delicious, impressive, and actually VERY easy! You can pair with my homemade easy rough puff pastry or in a pinch just buy the frozen sheets from the store. The filling is out of this world, and being all wrapped up in a flakey puff pastry crust makes for the perfect flaky finger food.
What’s in them? Bacon, feta cheese, parmesan cheese, spinach, and some seasonings. You can easily omit the bacon to make it vegetarian. Still delicious!
You can make these fresh, but when we’re talking appetizers and busy parties, we all know we need something that’s just ready to go. Thankfully these are extremely easy to make ahead of time! They are tasty served warm, but also taste fantastic at room temperature so there’s no huge pressure to make sure it’s an appetizer that’s timed precisely.
You can assemble the puffs up to 24 hours in advance and store in the fridge. Then just pop in the oven when you’re ready to bake!
These cream puffs are very versatile! You can swap out pretty much any of the filling items with something similar. For example, feel free to swap out the bacon for ham, or the feta cheese for mozzarella. Add mushrooms if you’d like! Feel free to make it flexible with your taste preferences and what you have available.
- 1 sheet puff pastry (store bought or homemade)
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 TB olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon (about 4 pieces)
- 2 TB chopped yellow onion (green onions would also be delicious)
- Using a hand or stand mixer, blend softened cream cheese to ensure it's smooth. Then add ONE egg, olive oil, garlic powder, and pepper. Blend together until smooth and well incorporated.
- Fold in chopped spinach, feta cheese, parmesan cheese, bacon, and onion (or filling options of choice).
- Cover and store in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- Using a thawed, prepared puff pastry sheet (whether store bought or homemade) roll out until the sheet is 1/8" - 1/4" thick. Cut into about 4" squares, large enough to fit into a muffin tin with some excess to fold over.
- Place all of the squares into each muffin tin cavity. Take a large spoonful of filling and place it into each square till almost completely filled.
- Fold the corners of the puff pastry squares over on top of the filling, bringing the points together in the center. You can set aside in the fridge for up to 24 hours, or bake right away.
- Once ready to bake, prepare an egg wash by whisking together one egg and 1 TB of water. Brush egg wash on top of each puff. Bake for about 16-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- They serve well warm and at room temperature. Store leftovers in the fridge airtight for up to 3 days.