Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Take your classic rice krispie treats up a notch with one simple trick – browning the butter! It enhances and warms up the flavor, plus by adding more marshmallows and butter than the original box recipe, it makes it more than just your average rice krispie treat.
What is brown butter?
Brown butter is simply just butter, melted down to a golden amber color with some browned flecks in it. By cooking butter, it provides a warm, nutty flavor that enhances any baked good. You can also use it in those savory cooking dishes too! It takes about 2 extra minutes and it’s oh so worth it!
How to make rice krispie treats
Rice krispie treats might be the easiest, fastest dessert! Plus it’s still a classic crowd pleaser, so what’s not to love? I loved enhancing the classic rice krispie treat recipe by using a lot more butter (and browning it!) and adding lots and lots more marshmallows. Another favorite trick is to add in half of the marshmallows AFTER the initial mix in. It leaves behind extra pockets of gooey deliciousness.
- Butter (unsalted or salted is fine. You don’t notice a huge difference in this recipe)
- Mini marshmallows (because we mix in half later, it’s important that they are mini. Makes a difference in the final product)
- Vanilla (brings out a tad more flavor)
- Salt (balances out the sweetness)
- Rice Krispies Cereal (any brand is fine)
How to store rice krispie treats
These taste best same day, but they hold pretty well for a couple days! Wrap the pan well in plastic wrap or you can also wrap each individual rice krisipe treat in plastic wrap to keep fresh.
Yes, you can also freeze rice krispie treats! Wrap them up in plastic wrap, put in them in a freezer Ziplock bag, and store for a couple months!
More favorite brown butter recipes:
Nutella Stuffed Brown Butter & Sea Salt Cookies
Turtle Rice Krispie Treats
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 10 oz (9 cups) Rice Krispies Cereal
- ¾ cup butter (salted or unsalted is fine)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 20 oz mini marshmallows, divided (yes, mini is best!)
- Prepare a 9x13 pan by lining it with parchment paper. Alternatively you can also grease it with butter. Set aside.
- In a large pot on medium heat, melt the butter. Stirring occasionally, let it become a golden brown color with a few brown specks throughout. This is "browning" butter and it creates such a nice, warm subtle flavor.
- Add 10 oz (1 bag) of mini marshmallows, stirring until it melts in with the butter. Add vanilla and salt. Stir again.
- Turn down the heat and add the cereal and fold to get the cereal evenly coated with the butter-marshmallow mixture. Add remaining mini marshmallows and fold again until marshmallows just begin to melt. Remove from heat and press into your prepared pan. Tip: I love using the wrapper from my butter to press it into the pan, or a silicone spatula is helpful as well.
- Let cool for about 15-30 minutes before cutting for clean squares. Store airtight for up to 3 days. You can wrap them well in plastic wrap for best freshness.
[…] true. This recipe is the same base rice krispie recipe as my Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats – just with the added decadent ingredients for my turtle lovers out […]
[…] 6. Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats […]