The perfect easy summer dessert with light cake layers, my favorite decadent mousse, and berries! Serve in a trifle glass or individual cups.
Easy 3 Ingredient Trifle
This trifle recipe is easy to put together and totally fool proof! No pressure in decorating a perfect cake or flawless piping. It’s just dumping and layering and you have a delicious, fancy dessert! There’s multiple substitutes to make it easier vs more homemade too. The cake I used here is my white chocolate berry cake. It’s basically a simplified version of that, using the cream topping as the filling here. The filling is also amazing if using our family favorite mousse recipe. Just layer and serve!
1. CAKE – Use angel food cake if your’e in a pinch or try using my white chocolate cake recipe. It is decadent and incredibly moist. You can also make it in advance and even freeze to spread out the prep time.
2. FILLING – I recommend using Doris’s Famous White Mousse (a family favorite!) or the cream topping from my white chocolate cake recipe. I just recommend doubling the recipe to match the quantity of cake.
3. BERRIES – Use any berries of choice! I loved the simplicity of using strawberries and blueberries but you could include raspberries or blackberries!
Serving a Trifle
So many ways to serve a trifle. You can use a large trifle dish or individual cups. For an outdoor party it’s nice to serve it in clear plastic cups for easy clean up. Tie a spoon around the cup with some ribbon to dress it up!
- Trifle bowl
- Glass cups
- Clear plastic cups
- Lo's white chocolate cake (link below) or an angel food cake
- Mousse recipe (link below)
- Berries of choice
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CAKE: Prepare an angel food cake or my favorite white chocolate cake recipe. Bake in a sheet pan, three 8" pans, or two 9" pans. Set aside to cool. Wrap up in plastic wrap until ready to use. You can also freeze if making in advance.
- BERRIES: Use berries of choice. I love using a triple combo of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. Blackberries are also delicious.
- ASSEMBLY: You can assemble in a trifle glass or serve in individual cups. Layer pieces of cake, followed by mousse and berries, followed by more cake, then berries. Top with additional mousse and berries. Chill until ready to serve. Don't prepare more than 12 hours in advance to keep the cake fresh.